Sunday 25 March 2012

Melting Moments

Melting Moments
Ok so I made these on a Saturday (last Saturday!!!) with all intentions of taking them to work...unfortunately for the legal departments they didn't even last all of Sunday!

I've made Yo-Yo's before which are very similar to Melting Moments, but had never attempted these before.  The main difference between these two shortbread-type biscuits is that Melting Moments do not have custard powder in the shortbread.  I found this recipe to also result in a much softer biscuit than when I made the Yo-Yo's...

When I first looked at the recipe I was just going to follow the method as it was written but when I saw it read "place the flour in a medium bowl...then add everything else" my instincts told me something was wrong.  All bakers know that when you have egg, butter, sugar and flour -- flour is the NEVER the first thing to go in!  So I followed my gut feeling and whipped the butter and sugar together till it was fluffy then added in the egg and went from there.  I ended up with such a soft, crumbly and fluffy biscuit and was glad I didn't follow the recipe! (although sometimes this isn't always the smartest idea, like if you're making macaroons!!! lol)


The cream for the middle was so to die for, it had just the right amount of lemon juice and rind...I had to stop myself from eating it straight out of the bowl -- which got increasingly harder as the time passed waiting for the biscuits to cool.  I learnt the hard way when I made Yo-Yo's that you really can't be inpatient when you're icing them, because if you try to sandwich butter cream between hot or even slightly warm biscuits it is going to melt and make your bikkies soggy!!!! so DO NOT do it!!!!!

Melting Moments


Ingredients:

Biscuits
  • 250g butter
  • ½ cup (80g) icing sugar mixture
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1½ cups (225g) plain flour, sifted
  • ½ cup (75g) cornflour, sifted
Butter cream
  • 80g butter
  • 2/3 cup (110g) icing sugar mixture
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice 


Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 180⁰ and line baking trays with baking paper and non-stick spray.
  2. Beat the butter and sugar together in a medium bowl.
  3. Add the vanilla extract and the sifted flours.
  4. Spoon small dollops of the mixture onto the baking trays, then press down lightly with a fork.
  5. To make the butter cream, beat the butter and icing sugar together, lemon rind and lemon juice together.
  6. Once the biscuits have cooled completely choose two that are of similar size and spoon a decent dollop of cream onto one.
  7. Lightly press the other biscuit on top and sit aside to set.
  8. Great with a cup of tea!!!! (and extra cream!)

Love in Baking, Passionate Baker! 2:D 

No comments:

Post a Comment