Friday 9 March 2012

Butterfly Cakes

Butterfly Cake
I had a request from my new team leader in the legal department I’m working in for butterfly cakes.  To be honest, I’ve never made them before, which is a bit strange considering I absolutely love anything with jam and fresh fluffy cream!  

These were so good…not as heavy or sickly sweet as some of the caramel, chocolate and toffee things I’ve made, which was a nice change.  Goes down well with a cup of tea.

I’m a fiend for having a lot of jam with my cream…so I put extra jam on the ones I knew I was going to eat, but it’s really your own preference how much or how little you want.  

When I took them into work it was great to see that as people bit into them, they discovered a jam surprise on the inside.  Some even used that phrase!!!  The wings were the best part, scooping up the jam and cream….droooool…

Definitely worth a try if you like light, fluffy, jam and cream!

Butterfly Cakes 
as adapted from Women's Weekly 'Easy Cupcakes by Colour'

Vanilla Butter Cake:

  • 1 cup (150g) sifted SR flour
  • 90g softened butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ cup (110g) caster sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 Tbsp milk


Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180⁰ and line a muffin tray with patty/cup cake cases, spraying lightly with non-stick spray.
  2. Beat butter and sugar till light and creamy.
  3. Add one egg at time, mixing well after each addition.
  4. Add the milk and extract.
  5. Gradually add the sifted flour, mixing till combined.  Do not over mix.
  6. Fill each patty case about half way, depending how big you want each to be.
  7. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until they spring back on the top when touched.  They should have a little bit of colour/browning on top but not too much.
  8. Set the patty cakes onto a cooling tray, cool completely before filling (I cooled over night).


Filling:
  • Strawberry jam
  • 600g thickened cream
  • Caster sugar (to taste)
  • Icing Sugar

Method:
  1. Beat the cream and caster sugar till the cream thickens, and is light and fluffy. 
  2. Add enough sugar to your own taste/sweetness.
  3. Once the cakes have cooled, cut a small round hole in the top about 2-3cm deep in the top of each cake.
  4. Fill the hole with half a spoon of jam and a spoonful of cream (more or less depending on your own taste).
  5. Cut the circle cake cut outs in half then place them into the cream like butterfly wings.
  6. Sift icing sugar over the top of the cakes.

Love in Baking, Passionate Baker! 2:D

No comments:

Post a Comment