Friday 13 July 2012

Sponge Layer Cake with Jam & Cream


I have made butterfly cakes before, and loved them, but it wasn't until a friend at work brought in butterfly cakes with "Mascarpone Cream" that I had the urge to make them again - but BETTER! I even decided to use an entirely different recipe for the sponge to experiment a little. As I was mixing the ingredients and getting ready to start the actual 'baking' process I realised that we hadn't unpacked all of my baking trays - including all my muffin and cupcake pans! :( So rather than go digging in the shed I decided to make a sponge layer cake instead.



I poured the batter into two of my cake tins and put them in the oven.  They didn't seem to be cooking right so I assumed the whole thing was going to be a flop.  I didn't mind that much though because in my mind the cake was only a means to an end - to have jam and mascarpone cream.....mmmm....

Once I took the cakes out of the oven, turned them out and let them cool I assembled them with a generous helpings of that delicious cream.  I cut a slice each for my mum and me and we devoured them with a cup of tea.  The cream was perfect, just the right amount of jam and surprisingly the cake was great too!  The next morning a cut the cake up into quarters, one quarter for Aaron - my trusty 'baking tester', one for the McCauls, and one for mum/at home.  I ended up not being able to give Aaron his share so mum took it with her to work instead.   Reports back from Trud revealed that she really loved the sponge cake and that sponge is apparently hard to make?! :S So that was definitely an unexpected surprise! :D  All in all, not a bad recipe...if you're in the mood for something plainer and cream...


Sponge Layer Cake with Jam & Cream

Sponge Mix

Ingredients:
  • 115g butter
  • ½ cup caster sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence (1/2 tsp vanilla extract)
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten (I forgot to lightly beat them and it worked anyway)
  • 1 ½ cups SR flour, sifted
  • ½ cup + 1 Tbsp milk


Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180 and line two round cake tins with baking paper and non-stick spray
  2. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer light and creamy.
  3. Gradually mix in eggs.
  4. Add the flour and milk alternating between the two.
  5. Divide mixture evenly between the two baking trays and bake till a skewer inserted comes out clean – they should spring back when touched.
  6. Turn out onto cooling racks and let cool completely before assembling.

Filling:
  • ½ cup thickened cream
  • ½ cup mascarpone cheese
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 3 tbsp caster sugar
  • Strawberry jam


Method:
  1. Whip ingredients until soft peaks form.
  2. Keep cold/refrigerated until spreading onto the sponge cake.


Assembly:
  1. Place one sponge cake on a large plate then spread strawberry jam evenly across the top – as much as you desire.
  2. Evenly spread the mascarpone cream over the top of the jam, to about 3cm from the edge of the cake – sparing one spoonful of cream.
  3. Place the other sponge cake on top, do not press down firmly or cream will be pushed out the sides of the layers.
  4. Dollop the remaining spoonful of cream on top, with a teaspoon of jam.
  5. Dust with icing sugar and serve. Best with a cup of tea.
Love in Baking, Passionate Baker! 2:D

1 comment:

  1. Haha I just realised you mentioned me in this! :P

    So sad I missed out!! :(

    ReplyDelete