Thursday 12 July 2012

Aunty Rel's Chocolate Caramel Slice


There is an ongoing tradition between my Aunty (great Aunty) and my mum for as long as I can remember that we make my Aunty a decorative box of some sort and she bakes us a tray of her famous Chocolate Caramel Slice.  For several years my mum was able to celebrate the fact that all of us kids were too young, and perhaps too stubborn, to try the slice and therefore mum had the luxury of having the whole lot to herself.

It wasn’t until one year when mum placed about half of the batch in the freezer, and I tried a slice semi-defrosted that mums’ luck would change.  From the second my teeth sunk into that anzac biscuit-like base, sweet caramel filling and smooth chocolate topping I was addicted!  The only problem with this amazing slice is that you can’t just have one piece!  It’s sooooo morish it can almost be sickly, but by the time you’ve finished one piece and attempt to walk away you can’t help but to have another – especially if it’s straight out of the freezer because then the sweetness doesn’t hit you till after!

Not long after I developed my ‘relationship’ with Aunty Rel’s slice, my youngest brother finally tried it – turns out he’s an even BIGGER ‘addict’ than both my mum and I combined!  So now, unfortunately mum has to share her Christmas tradition with 3 people.  As a result, after much begging, grovelling and bartering, I convinced my Aunty Rel to give me the recipe.  Unfortunately at the time she wrote it down for me I was unable to bake – I was moving house, finishing uni, all very hectic.  It wasn’t until I had settled down in our new ‘farmhouse’, with my new kitchen that is so perfect for baking, that I finally made the masterpiece that is Aunty Rel’s slice.

Prior to setting out to bake the unbakeable I was certain that it would be a failure.  Despite my pessimistic outset, the finished product resembled almost the same beautiful slice that my Aunty Rel had made us so many years in a row.  Although I’d eaten my fair share of the base mixture, condensed milk and melted chocolate/copha mix that were all leftover in the baking bowls – I still managed to have a ‘frozen’ piece just before bed that night.  It was definitely as good as I remembered and so dam addictive!

I separated the tray into a ‘work’ container, ‘home’ container and a ‘McCauls’ container.  I had promised my Aunty Trudy some of the slice right back when I’d first gotten the recipe off Aunty Rel – and considering Trud had been there watching me make the slice I couldn’t not send them up a container.

The lot I took into work lasted mere minutes, and it was declared (either directly or implied through the ample consumption that had taken place) that Aunty Rel’s slice was by far my best baked good that I had ever taken into work.  Unfortunately though, that also meant there were no left overs to take home or share with friends.  Another merit to the slices’ success was that everyone who had tried a piece demanded a copy of the recipe.  I wasn’t sure when I would have a chance to get the recipe up onto my blog, so I typed up the recipe from memory (surprisingly well) and emailed it out to them all.  I also sent a copy to Trudy, in hope we’d make it together next time.

Aunty Rel’s Chocolate Caramel Slice

Base:
  • 1 Cup SR flour
  • 1 Cup brown sugar
  • 1 Cup coconut
  • 125g melted butter


Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180 and line a baking tray.
  2. Combine all dry ingredients then mix through the melted butter.
  3. Press the mixture firmly into the baking tray and bake for approximately 10 minutes.  Do not bake for too long as the slice returns to the oven in the next step.
  4. Remove from the oven and cool slightly.

 
Filling:
  • 1 can condensed milk (400ml)
  • 2 Tbsp golden syrup
  • 1 Tbsp butter


Method:
  1. Combine ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat.
  2. Stir constantly for approximately 5 minutes whilst boiling or until the caramel starts to crystallise and darken (forming small bubbles on the bottom of the saucepan).  Do not boil for too long or the caramel will burn or harden too much when set.
  3. Pour caramel evenly over the base and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes.
  4. Remove from the oven and let cool entirely.


Topping
  • 150g milk chocolate (buttons)
  • 20g copha


Method:
  1. Melt ingredients, stirring constantly, in a bowl over a saucepan of boiling water (ensure that the boiling water is not touching the bowl).
  2. Pour melted chocolate over the base and caramel and spread evenly.
  3. Refrigerate till set.
  4. Slice and serve.  This recipe is also suitable for freezing (I like mine best out of the freezer, slightly thawed).


Love in Baking, Passionate Baker! 2:D


No comments:

Post a Comment